Sunday, February 22, 2009

Anis Mojgani-"Shake the Dust"

This is for the tired and for the dreamers,
For those families that'll never be like the Cleavers
with perfectly made dinners and sons like Wally and the Beaver.
This is for the bigots, this is for the sexists, this is for the killers,
and for the springtime that always seems to show up right after the winters.
This--this is for you.
Every time I write, every time I open my eyes I'm cutting out parts of myself to give to you,
so shake the dust and take me with you when you do,
because none of this has ever been for me.
Make my words worth it.
Make this not just another poem that I write,
not just another poem like just another night that sits heavy above all of us.
Walk into it, breathe it in,
let it crash through the halls of your arms like the millions of years of millions of poets,
coursing like blood, pumping and pushing,
making you live, shaking the dust.
So when the world knocks at your front door,
clench the knob tightly and open on up,
running forward into it's widespread greeting arms
with your hands before you, fingertips trembling though they may be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ-Ox5uH3FM

No comments: