Sunday, July 25, 2010

I have spent my entire morning reading religious texts, starting with the Bible. It is disgustingly violence- and sex-filled, which I knew prior to reading but not to the full extent. For comparison's sake, I read large portions of the Quran and the Book of Mormon, and they are all really quite similar in that aspect. Really disgusting disgusting books.

The morals that we extract for children as a guideline for life are fine, but it is unfair to call what we teach as the "Bible" or the "Quran" a true summary of the text itself. We extract the morals that our society currently accepts and call it ancient law, where in reality the ancient law is long outdated and ignored.

But it is too late to change because God apparently no longer speaks to us anymore.
It is time to write our own versions.

--My wonderfully brilliant friend Julia

No comments: